I saw the following infographic from upworthy.com and started feeing the self loathing tick up. I am so so SO guilty of throwing away food.
I think most of my food waste comes from lack of organization. Meaning, I forget that I have something and then by the time I remember, I’m scared to eat it. Or I plan on making a meal and I don’t have my stuff together and it goes bad so I toss it. All bad stuff. I sometimes read a blog called thefrugalgirl.com and she was tired of all the food going to waste in her home and started posting about it on her blog. Public admission/humiliation goes a long way, folks. So here’s what I’m going to attempt to do in order to reduce the amount of food we waste in our house:
- Learn more about “ugly” food vs. spoiled food. Use food when it’s ugly, thow out food when it’s spoiled.
- Force myself to get creative with using up food before garbage day. We now have four people who eat food in this house. I need to use the food, not waste it.
- Eat left overs, dammit. Avoid fast food and just use what we have.
- Juice up left over fruits and veggies.
- Make bread crumbs out of old or soon to be expired bread
- Freeze crap
- Start a food waste friday post. Shame myself into wasting less.