Last week we went on a Disney Cruise. It was fabulously fabulous. I’m going to post about it all week long, in fact. I thought I’d start by doing a quick tutorial on some super easy but adorable treats I made for the friends we were traveling with. They look like this:
All you need to make them exactly like mine is:
1 package of double stuff Oreos
1 bag of Oreo Minis
1 tube of red frosting
1 small tube of white frosting
1 small package or bottle of red sanding sugar poured onto a small plate
Wax or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
This will yield about 32 Mickeys. Here are the steps:
1. Using a butter knife, pull apart the mini oreos and scrape off the white filling. You will be tempted to eat that filling. Resist. You’ll thank me later.
2. Gently insert two of the minis into the filling of each Double Stuff Oreo to create “ears.” They should be about 1/2 an inch apart. As you can see in the picture above, your Double Stuff Oreos will break. Just be careful with them and try to be as gentle as possible.
3. Spread red frosting on the lower 40% of the Double Stuff Oreo. By lower I mean the side that doesn’t have the ears. You can do this by squeezing the frosting into a bowl and using a butter knife or by melting the frosting a bit in a small bowl and dipping the oreo into the bowl.
3. Dip the frosted portion of the Oreo into the red sanding sugar and place it onto the cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
4. Using the white frosting, place two white dots on the red portion of each cookie
5. Place in the refrigerator to set frosting for 2 hours or more.
While the cookies did evoke some questions from my husband (“Wait. I don’t get it. I get the ears but what’s the red part?” “They’re pants.” “Why are his pants on his face?”), I just wanted to make a treat for our friends and their little ones that would kick off our trip with something fun. I KNOW they don’t make sense exactly. But they remind me of Mickey Mouse and they taste good. So I made some and put them in some small decorative Chinese take out boxes. Done and done.
Some suggested modifications:
1. Skip the sanding sugar
2. Skip the white dots
3. Skip the red frosting all together and just make mouse heads
4. Insert a lollipop stick and bag them in cellophane bags tied with a cute ribbon