A few weeks ago, I told you of my woes with ammonia stinkies in cloth inserts we use in our gDiapers. I washed and washed and washed. Then I washed and washed again. Since then I’ve made two modifications to my wash routine and I think things are going well so far.
First, instead of just tossing the cloths into the dry pail, I give them a quick rinse in the sink so that there’s less urine sitting in the cloth. After talking to the diaper therapists at gHQ, i realized that the ammonia might be just her pee so I started rinsing it out. Not fabulous because it’s one extra step but at least it’s an easy one. We pass the sink on the way to the dry pail anyway.
Second, I’ve been adding water softener to each wash load of gDiapers. The box says to use half a cup (HALF A CUP!) in each load, but the loads I do are small and that stuff isn’t cheap. So I’ve been doing a quarter cup and it seems to be working fine.
I’m so relieved. I occasionally smell a little ammonia but it’s not like it was before and I can’t smell it wafting through the air in her room. Nor do I smell ammonia when I open up her diaper. Phew. I was really worried it would cause a problem for her.
I don’t know if we’ve fixed the problem or if maybe this is just a temporary thing but for now I’m just glad we’re back in business.